Cartoon Network

21 December 2012

Re: [DIY] At Last It Is Here!

 

I can think of a lot of reasons to leave Chicago but eleven feet of snow and -28 degrees is not one of them. :-)

 I spent 18 months in the South Pacific and three years in Hawaii and never was able to develop any affection for palm trees at Christmas time.  I've worked in some pretty cold weather and will admit that it was not the most pleasant, but as soon as I finished a hot cup of coffee or chocolate and let my toes and fingers warm up, I was ready to go back into it.  One thing I've noticed is that people always seem to understand the need to get in and warm up, but very seldom has anyone told me to go in and cool off for a while.  I grew up on a farm in Eastern Kansas and suffered through every summer I can recall, but during the same period I walked 1 1/4 miles to and from school every day and for the life of me I can't recall the misery of the cold.  I'm sure my feet and hands got pretty cold in those old 4 buckle overshoes and cotton gloves, but walking fast and slapping your hands together would remedy the problem.  No amount of running, jumping or dancing ever cooled me off in the least.  All of my fingers were frost bitten during the 4 years I spent chipping ice off of radar antennas above the arctic circle, but that does not compare with the misery encounter during two three week stints in Cuba in July.  I even went went so far as to turn down a 40k + job offer in the late 60's because I knew I'd be totally miserable working in the heat and humidity of Orlando, Florida during the summers.  I guess God made the world with so many different climates because he knew there would be people coming along to match.

Dale in the Flatlands.

Mountain Master wrote:

When I left Chicago area abput 40 years ago or thereabouts...it was 28 degrees
BELOW zero and there was 11 feet of fresh snow being blown about
in massive drifts.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment