Cartoon Network

11 December 2012

Re: [DIY] Re: Where is our moderator ???

 

Well Said, My Kinda group

From: Dale S <dalu@hbcomm.net>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] Re: Where is our moderator ???
 
Christine, thank you for your kind words.  So that everyone might know a bit more about who their moderator is, I will give you and the list a short personal bio.  I am 77, and have worked with everything from a wheel-barrow to a nuclear reactor.  I was a Chief Petty Officer in the US Navy and spent a number of years on Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarines. I've worked in R&D, owned several business that never made much more than a basic living, spent 7+ years as a "Logging and Production" engineer in the oil field, was a computer programmer and software designer during the days of DOS, was a general contractor for several years,  also I have farmed, worked cattle, pulled wrenches, dug ditches, published several books,  and damn near starved to death on more than one occasion. 

During my active working years I was either responsible for a group of young men and women or worked alone from the time I was 22 until my retirement several years ago.  Some might describe me as a "rolling stone" since I pursued numerous occupations and interests over the years, but I refused to work under conditions that either bored me to distraction or grated against my principles. 

My wife was at my insistence a stay at home mom even though as a union scale meat cutter and wrapper she often could have been the primary wage earner, and having myself lived and worked in the Boston and NYC areas for many years I refused after our marriage to live or raise a family in a large metropolitan environment.

I am a tinkerer and builder by nature and a dreamer at heart, with a perchance for research on any subject that happens to strike my fancy at the moment.  My shop while small is fairly well equipped with the tools that address my many varied interests.  I'm fairly proficient with wood and wish I knew more about machining so that I might make better use of my lathe and mill.  I also have a corner that is set up and dedicated to electronics with scopes, power supplies and signal generators.  

I will at the drop of a hat assist anyone who is trying to help themselves, but have no tolerance for those who are either lazy or trying to avoid personal responsibility by working the system.  I believe we all need to exhibit compassion, but no one should be required to be a door mat for others to use and abuse at will.   There is usually a beer or two in the fridge, and the coffee pot is seldom empty for more than a moment or two, but I never go to bars or coffee shops as I consider them a waste of my time and money.  I enjoy people, but hate crowds.  I know what I want when I go to a store and if they don't have it, I'm out of there; and if it is something I feel they should have carried I probably won't be back.

So there you have it.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.



Dale in the Flatlands.      
Christine Hartmann wrote:
 
Good Morning Dale,
 
Thank you for that kind and restrained response; my inclination would have been to be a bit more defensive.  You were not at all mean-spirited or catty.  We're all glad that you have a full life and thank-you for providing us with the opportunity to participate in this forum.  I agree that it is risky to open anything unrecognizable; so I don't.  It goes straight in the trash where I hope it can do no harm.
 
Based on information gleaned from previous posts, I guess you to be about my Dad's age.  Dad has been gone for six years now, so I read about your activity level and zest for life with a bit of wistfulness for what might have been.  It's good to know that your health, knowledge, and inclination for participation in real life are all working together to allow you to be able to do whatever you want.  I know people in their '50's who are limited by failure in their bodies, and they just wish they could get out and rake or shovel the driveway.  So, do whatever you're going to do. - We'll be well moderated however you decide to accomplish that.
 
 
Christine - Mpls (where we got a LOT of snow)  

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment