Cartoon Network

17 December 2012

RE: [DIY]Dale - TOOLS !

 

For me, I've found that a compound miter saw is invaluable.  It can significantly reduce the amount of time needed

to precisely cut wood (which for me, takes up about 70% of the total time needed to build/repair anything).  Many places

like HD and Lowes are having big sales on miter saws for as little as a $100 for a good, basic one.  If you can afford $300 or

a little more, a sliding compound miter saw is the way to go.  It allows for much larger pieces of lumber to be cut.  Most people

I know eventually upgrade to a sliding saw because of it's versatility.

 

On the less expensive side, I have an magnet that's attached to an extension (think car antenna with a magnet glued to the

end of it).  It also has a small LED light at the end and is REALLY helpful when a pesky nut, socket or screw drops down into the

dark bowels of a cars engine compartment that a hand just can't reach. 

 

Places like Sears, HD or Lowes sell them for less than $10. Great stocking stuffer for your or your DIY'er.

 

Believe me, you only need to use it once for it to pay for itself...don't ask.  :-)

 

-aki

 

 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dale S
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 9:26 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIY]Dale - TOOLS !

 

 

Carmen:
Probably my most used "handi tool" right now is my Soni Crafter, which is Rockwells name for their version of a vibrating saw.  There are several other brands as well which are also good.  I suppose it all depends on whether your husband works with wood, or only mechanic types.  I work with steel, wood, and cars and trucks if they are my own.

I just finished doubling the area of my shop with the intent of having a place to park a car in the winter, not happening as it is already about full.  I can think of any number tools and might suggest you take a walk around HD  or Lowes and see if you find something in your price range that you know he does not have.

Dale in the Flatlands.

carmen s. wrote:

 

Dale, last year through your site I was asking about flashlights for a
Christmas present and ended up with the Dewalt belt light with the
rechargeable battery.
That was one expensive little flashlight but one of the best
purchases I have ever made! It's magnet keeps it on the side of my
stove and it is always there and ready and puts out the best light. I
gave one to my son and he uses it to work on his car and also tells me
it was one of the best Christmas gifts he has ever gotten.

Can you send a list of your favorite tools? Both power and otherwise
as my husband has just about everything and I would love to surprise
him.
As a auto mechanic, he has multiples of these sorts of tools.

This year is his year for up-dating the plumbing and wiring on this
place and he is also building a shed type extension on a pre-existing
garage.
He has a sawzall.
carmen s.

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment