Cartoon Network

23 February 2013

Re: [DIY] Re: Lightening and Power Surges.

 

Sooo-- when is too much too much for my 1985 Nashua trailer about 1000 feet, two small bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room, before it explodes? BTW, years ago I worked for Radio-Electronics magazine. The older I get, the more fascinating things get. One day I actually hope to learn more about the miracles of electricity and how a radio works. (Still trying to figure how sound waves are changed to electricity.) Cindi



From: Bob Davis <bob@wrobertdavis.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:14 PM
Subject: RE: [DIY] Re: Lightening and Power Surges.

 
Oh my gosh.  We have reached the limit mandated by EEOC for EE's in this conference.  ;-)
 
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mountain953346
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:17 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] Re: Lightening and Power Surges.
 
 


2a
Lightening and Power Surges.
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am (PST) . Posted by:
"Dale S" flat_land_dale
Lightening and power surges are two entirely different
animals. We experienced a

Well Dale, I agree. However my surge "manual" that comes
with the surge protector outlet strip states "lightning or
other surge up to 20,000 volts" in their guarantee.

I guess I got lazy here, I have a Master in Electronics
Engineering and should have realized no self respecting lightning
bolt would be caught dead advertising itself around
the 20 kv level when they actually are in the megavolt
range..so much for surge protector warranties!! LOL Some
turncoat engineer apparently went to work for marketing
and learned how to write meaningless warranties.

Assuming a lightning bolt for our discussions is one that
arcs between ground and a cloud, the breakdown of air
regarding voltage level (dielectic) is about 1000 volts
per inch or many millions if not billions of volts for
a reasonable arc length in the sky. The current in a
bolt may be over 100,000 amperes if memory serves me
correctly (if you measured more or less, let me know as I
am open to correction having had one of those strikes
under my desk!! LOL).... ;>)

So I stand corrected, a lightning bolt is just not a
large surge per se.

Rich (with Kate chuckling in the background kindly
not saying "I told you so"...heheh..she is EE also!)


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment