Cartoon Network

15 February 2013

Re: [DIY] Re: Whole house surge protection

 

There is a lot more to surges than lightning strikes. Most is fluctuations that are never noticed except by the electronic equipment in your house.
Nowdays, 1/2 of your appliances are electronic including LED and CFL light bulbs. 
Nothing can totally absorb a direct lightning strike, however.  Every little bit helps.


On 2/15/2013 7:37 AM, Aki wrote:

 
I've heard that some utility companies either provide whole house surge protectors for free or for
a reduced price.  Probably more likely in areas more prone to lightning strikes.
 
I've lived in Northern Va for most of my life and have only heard of one incident where lightning
struck that caused a house to suffer surge damage.  More likely, if lightning strikes, it won't be
through the power lines, it will be through the path of least resistance, like water pipes. 
 
You have to weigh the cost of a whole house protector based on the frequency of strikes in your
area and what your insurance deductible would be to replace damaged items.   Personally, $130
seems like cheap insurance.
 
-aki
 
 

 
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM, mountain953346 <mountain953346@yahoo.com> wrote:
 


My thoughts? Worthless....I was sitting at my desk and lightning
hit the pole outside...the surge came into my house through the
telephone line....I had a long cord attached to the phone inside
and it was coiled up under my desk.

The surge smoked the coil...it was right under my feet!! Of course
it was somewhat disconcerting....I disconnected the phone
during storms the next two years!!

Point is that the surge, after I did some research, will enter
the house in any point...the surge protector was not even warm from
the jolt. Other than that one bolt of lightning, in 50 years
that was the only surge!!

Other than a large scare-factor, nothing else was damaged. The
coiled wire left a pretty pattern burned into the floor!! Wish
I had taken a pic before repairing!!

I don't think an whole house protector is worth it, even for
$130 bucks. I do not hear at all of a Util company surging
110/220 in a home at all...does not mean it doesn't happen..
but my 2 cents worth says I stick with my $15 surge protector
on the computers and tv/stereo systems...I did however unplug
the sub-zero during a storm.

Rich (ex flat-lander..we moved from Illinois to California..)

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Baldwin" wrote:
>
> Any thoughts if these whole house surge protection devices are worth it. Due
> to the fact I am upgrading my service, I thought I would look in to them. I
> am looking at the Square-D Electric Home Electronics Protective Device
> (HEPD) Model # HEPD80.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment