Cartoon Network

23 October 2012

Re: [DIY] Hardie Plank

 

Thanks freespirit. Yes I read that it creates a lot of dust!

I will need to cut a box within the slat and am trying to figure out if a jigsaw will work (with drill bit starter points).  I don't have any and so do not know if it's possible.  I'm also curious if screws as fasteners will work with this type of material instead of nails.  I think I saw on the spec sheet something about screws when fastening Hardie into steel posts but am not sure.

When you installed the hardie siding (question to jdp as well please), did you simply install it over the posts and insulation or did you install it over some type of wood sheathing (plywood or osb) that was initially installed over the posts?

tyvm. 



On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:48 AM, freespirt2050 gdb7edc <rich81850@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

I redid my house and had great sucess. You need a special carbire tip blade the store should be able to reccomend for your skill saw. I used a Tsquraer made to gide you skill saw and had mostly straight and angle cuts, . as for a curve cutting tool, didn't use one so I can't advise. Depends on how many curve you have and how much hardie you are putting up, The right tool makes things guick and easy... Also if your doing allot, a nailer is a good Idea, I did mine all by hand nailing, to do over I would spend the money on a nailer...
Safety, Good Glasses or even goggles, and a breathing mask are a must with all the dust. Good Luck


From: subprong <subprong@gmail.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:57 AM
Subject: [DIY] Hardie Plank
 
Does anyone here have experience with cutting and installing hardie plank siding products?

I see at the box stores that it comes in a few varieties.  Big sheets (as you would see plywood or OSB).  Lap siding strips.  Shingle style sections.

What have you had experience cutting this stuff with?

Apparently there is a special cutter for curved cuts that costs upwards of $100-$200.  I'll pass on that.  A special carbide cement blade for a table saw can be used. Has anyone ever tried a jigsaw?  Has anyone ever tried the score and snap approach, and, if so, how well does that work?

Thanks.


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment