Cartoon Network

24 January 2014

[DIY] MULTIPLAZ 3500

 

The local temp is 9 above with a -10 chill factor, so perhaps it is time to discuss a (new tool) which I finally broke down and purchased last year.  I had watched their videos and researched their claims for months, but until I was finally able to communicate with a fellow from Australia who actually owned one of the little machines I had no idea whether this was more hype than fact until I finally turned loose of the 2,000 dollars to buy one.  They had been available in Europe for about 10 years but had only recently become available in the US.

The 17 pound generator comes with two identical torches except for interchangeable tip opening, one for cutting and the other for welding.  Water is used as the pressure and plasma medium for cutting and a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water for welding.  No shielding gas is needed and welding may be accomplished with or without filler rod, in which case I have been using clothesline wire of which I have an abundance.  Last but not least, No Splatter.

Some interesting facts:  It is shipped without a power plug since it is designed to operate on voltages from 100-250 VAC and either 50 or 60 cycle power, power plug selection is left up to the buyer.  There is also no power switch, plug it in and it is ready to go.  There are six operational ranges with 1 thru 4 being available on 120 vac and 1thru 6 available on 230 vac.  The input power selection is totally automatic and no external switching is require.  There are also two modes, one being with internal ejected plasma and second utilizing torch to work piece plasma, (very hot +14,000 def F)

I have not been able to play with the Multiplaz unit nearly as much as I had planned due to the severity of our winter weather and the need to revamp my shop a bit, but I own several welding and torch units and this has quickly become my first tool of choice because of its size and portability.  90% of the time all I have needed was an extension cord and 120 VAC, though I did build a simple pigtail for 230 VAC operation when needed for cutting.  I have not been very careful about which shop circuit I might have chosen to plug into but have yet to trip one of the shop breakers due to an overload.  Amperage draw on 120 VAC is about 10 amps or less under normal use.

I am including a photo of a quick weld I used to attach an ancient morticing chisel to a 1/2 inch pipe handle for cutting tree roots.  Oh and BTW, no need to pre-clean the work pieces as the plasma temperature alone quickly dissipates all rust and paint fragments.  I anticipate that many jobs I have been putting off due to the need to drag a welder or torch and tanks around might now get addressed.







 

--
Dale in the Flatlands. "Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous."

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment