Cartoon Network

09 January 2014

Re: [DIY] faucet running water logic?

 

The big chill is over for a time here (Pennslvania). It got REALLY cold - but today it's "warm." (25 F) I heard to leave the doors open by the sink cabinet underneath so the pipes wouldn't freeze. I opted to leave the faucet drip. I just got one of those new-fangled faucets with one lever for both cold and hot. I got concerned because the cold water just stopped running, everything came out hot, hot and hotter. I figured maybe the cold water line was frozen. But I kept the lowest turn to cold water I could get the handle with a slight drip. After about two hours I noticed a surge in the water and it was streaming out, not going by drips. My cold water is back, I figure if it WAS getting frozen and not running it thawed out somehow. And today all is well.

But I am nervous about the next freeze, especially as we'll be away for at least a month. Uh oh, now what do I do about going away for a month? I could ask a neighbor or friend to stop by on those cold, cold days. Maybe I will do that.


On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:17 AM, Aki <01dyna@gmail.com> wrote:
 
when I was stationed in Misawa Japan many years ago when I was in the Navy, we lived off-base and pipes freezing during the winter was a common occurrence.  What I learned was that *every* faucet should be allowed to drip.  All of the pipes need to have movement or they'll freeze.  It doesn't have to have a steady stream, just a constant drip.  What I did was tie a shoelace to the faucet that ran down to the drain and then I just barely left the faucet open to allow a drip every couple of seconds.  The shoelace (or string) allowed the water to flow down the string so that we wouldn't hear a constant drip which could be really annoying at night.  

Doing that kept all of the pipes from freezing up and after we did that, we never had a problem with freezing pipes.  Misawa's temps routinely went below zero in the winter and you learned fast how to survive in the cold...especially when winter ran 9 months out of the year.

-aki
  


On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:56 AM, John and Carmen Stuart <johnandcarmen@bellsouth.net> wrote:
 
I also have a logic question that I'm not sure about.
In a trailer with 2 bathrooms at either end, and the hot water heater positioned by the master bedroom,  (kitchen in the trailer middle) if only one faucet was to be left with a small stream to keep 
the pipes from freezing, which of the three  faucets make the most sense to appropriately open for the deep-freeze? 
carmen

~~~~~~~
On Jan 8, 2014, at 1:00 AM, <cleanboost2@yahoo.com> wrote:

 
We live in a trailer. OK, it's worse than freezing, but we're warm. I never had to think about these things, but I wonder about the water pipes freezing. I left the water tap very slightly dripping by the kitchen sink, the cold water. I have a couple of questions: is it the cold water that should be open? I mean slightly running? We've had zero degrees thereabouts.




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment