Cartoon Network

14 January 2014

Re: [DIY] Winterizing an Unoccupied House

 

Did you have to prime the pump when you returned to the house with the well?  I lost the prime on mine and it was a real pain to get under the house.

Google Jers Tablet
Woodhaven, MI

On Jan 13, 2014 7:19 PM, "LarenCorie" <larencorie@axilar.net> wrote:
Posted by: "Terry" THenne1713@aol.com

> If I was going away (especially extended/ especially
> winter) I would want water shut off at street, or at least
> outside house.

  Hi Terry;

  I have owned two houses that I have shut down, with no
heat in Winter, in Michigan. Where I live now (extreme
cold region) there is a well, and I can literally winterize
the house is about two minutes (have done it a hundred
time, at least) by turning off the pump, opening all the
faucets, flushing and plunging the toilet, and splashing
RV antifreeze in all the traps and the toilet tank. I heat
only with a woodstove, so if I leave, even for a day
or two, I winterize the house, and let it go cold.

 My other house, in the city, with a basement was more
difficult. There is a main shut-off, where the water comes
into the house. However, I found that the valve would not
seal, and the system would still fill with water. So, the first
thing I had to do was fix that.  At the same time I installed
another valve, to drain the system through a hose, to a
floor drain. That way I could stop the water from the city,
but if the valve failed even that water would go to the floor
drain, just like the water from the house system.  I deter-
-mined that the short line from the city main, and meter,
in the basement, were well enough "ground coupled" to
not freeze.    I also plunged the toilet and put some RV
antifreeze in the traps, except the basement floor drains,
which are too ground coupled to freeze.

 -Laren Corie-
 Natural Solar Building Design and
 Solar Heating/Natural Cooling/Energy
 Efficiency Consultation Since 1975
 www.ThermalAttic.com  (many new
 photos and pages, coming soon)

Read my Solar house design articles in:
-Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
www.essnmag.com

Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives


------------------------------------

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DoIt_Yourself/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DoIt_Yourself/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    DoIt_Yourself-digest@yahoogroups.com
    DoIt_Yourself-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    DoIt_Yourself-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment