Cartoon Network

09 January 2014

Re: [DIY] Re: Heat tape

 

My husband works at a rental store and a fellow brought in a section of heat tape that started a fire while wrapped around some PVC pipe under his house, it burned a small area of the wood structure and melted the PVC pipe which leaked and put out the fire. One lucky fellow!

But the reality of what could happen left an impression and the only way I would use that heat tape was if it was out in the open for some kind of livestock use.
My husband also watched an electric drill, plugged in but not in use, burst into flames while working in a car dealership many years ago. If it plugs in, it has the ability to burn. 
I don't even leave toasters plugged  in when I'm not using them.
Old and so cautious anymore,
carmen
~~
On Jan 8, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Cindi Wass wrote:

 

Heat tape started a fire? I'm ok today, the weather is warm-er and I kept the faucet dripping, I figured whatever happens happens, and I'm thinking the waterline slightly froze but not entirely. Maybe I'm wrong, but for a while the drip was only hot water, finally the cold water kicked in. I had one of those new-fangled inventions installed recently, one handle faucet + spray. Today it's OK, but of course I am worried about the future in more ways than one, because we plan to get out of town for about 6 weeks during the winter. I realize I need to ask a neighbor to check on those very cold days.

But I am curious about the heat tape. What it does -- and why did it start a fire? That doesn't sound good.


On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:01 AM, carmen s. <mom2mini@bellsouth.net> wrote:
 
I know of one case where the heat tape started a fire.
carmen
~~~
On Jan 8, 2014, at 6:13 AM, Meari wrote:

 

When I lived in a mobile home, I had heat tape on my pipes.

 


Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
.





__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment