Cartoon Network

13 March 2016

[DIY] Thanks everyone, a little OT

 

Met with the contractor yesterday to get estimates on remodeling the front half of the barn into a one level home.  It's about 900' with another 200'+ finished.  Because it's all open he says it's will be much easier (which I know) than remodeling the upstairs - but not sure if that will equate in cost.  When he started asking questions, I pulled out my Barn Book, 2" thick now,  with pictures, info, and all the questions I've kept about what to ask on HVAC etc, LOL. I'm a long way from expert but at least I know a lot more than I did a few months ago. When you guys give me a direction, I google it till my fingers start cramping.


I'm hesitant about the insulation.  Contractor feels caulking the wood, using R-19 batts with sheetrock or wood is plenty.  I was leaning towards the foil-faced foam panels as they would be easier for us to put up. The blown-in foam is about 5 times the cost, so that's out.  Once I see the estimates I'll talk to him about the DIY packages we've discussed on the list.  There is one outside wall in the finished foyer (appraisers term) that has tongue and groove finish but no insulation, I know he plans on blowing something down to insulate that wall so might be a good test. The HVAC contractor had a problem on another job and had to cancel, I want to talk with him directly before I make a decision.

Probably our only snag will be the finishing, the contractor is big on stone fireplaces, very lodge looking finish, his own home is like that.  I'm more the French Farmhouse type and my husband favors the look of the wood rafters in the ceiling, LOL.   I find it interesting how everyone looks at the barn and sees it in a different way :)  Contractor still thinks we were crazy to sell our beautiful home to live in a barn, but he did say it was going to be fun to work on it.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "oakridgefarm@gmail.com" <oakridgefarm@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail App
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use, Yahoo Mail app today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment