Cartoon Network

20 March 2016

Re: [DIY] RE: toilet valve

 

A big thank you to everyone that helped me! I disassembled the toilet this morning, and was able to remove the toy. It took a total of 3 hours and $2 for a new was ring. Thanks so much for helping out a real novice. 

I just cant help thinking what the plumber told me. "It will be impossible to remove the toy."


Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 10:21 PM, "Ron Johnson l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


 

Usually, when the valve it cranked all the way open tight for years, it ruins the ferrule washer which makes it leak when you shut it off.  The old valves need to be opened then turned back a quarter of a turn (some say half a turn); that keeps the ferrule washer from getting destroyed.  Tightening the ferrule nut now might help, but it could be at the point where you HAVE to replace the angle stop. 

Use two wrenches: one on the angle stop and the other on the pipe set the other direction (as if you were going to turn it); I'm assuming you have galvanized pipes.  If you have copper or plastic, you can just cut it and get a valve designed for slipping onto the pipe.

Hold the wrench on the pipe still (a pipe wrench, or monkey wrench, would be preferred) as you twist off the valve with either a crescent or a smaller pipe wrench.  Clean the exposed threads with a wire brush (or an old toothbrush - you can use a new toothbrush if there is someone in the household you REALLY don't like, but you didn't hear that from me) use both thread tape and threading compound - the combination of the two almost guarantees no leak at that connection. Since the new angle stops have only a quarter-turn, there is no problem with the ferrule nut and washer anymore.  They are also easier to turn on and off.

Since you are replacing the valve, you may consider replacing the water supply (the hose that goes from the valve to the toilet). My preference is the braided steel types.  The plastic braided ones can balloon up and split - which makes a big mess.  If the current one is copper, see if you can use it - they are good but I have a tendency to bend them when I take them off and put them back on, so I just replace them.

 

 


 


To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 19:15:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [DIY] RE: toilet valve

 
Thanks for the advice Ron. It seems leak on the outside. Does that mean I should try tightening that nut on the side?

And can I replace the washer on the inside to prevent it from leaking Into the toilet? I have not verified it yet if it is leaking into the toilet basin. 

But as soon as I tried to shut it, it started to leak on the outside. It hadnt been touched in at least 12 years. 

Ron, I appreciate your input

Frank 

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 5:57 PM, "Ron Johnson l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


If the shut-off valve doesn't work, or if it leaks when you close it, you have two options.  Of course you have to shut off the water first.
 
You can replace it.
... or ...
You can put another valve on the output side of it.  They sell them at Lowe's so I'm sure Home Depot or Ace would have them.  This is the option especially if you're concerned that there is a problem with taking the old one off.  May not look great, having two valves connected together like that, but it's better than rerunning plumbing.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 17:06:07 -0400
Subject: Re: [DIY] Re: Toy flushed

 
I only flushed it once since the toy went in. And it didn't seem right. The plumber confirms the toy is in the trap, so I'm assuming toilet paper will catch and cause a greater issue. 

If the toy went down the waste pipe, couldn't that be a great issue as well? 

I'm Intending on Removing it tomorrow unless I have an issue with the shut off valve which hasn't been turned in years. If that does not work then I have a whole different can of works since I never Sweated pipe. 


Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 4:35 PM, "pumps2fix@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


Frank, is the toilet clogged and will not work properly?.....I once had to
dismantle the entire fixture in order to remove a ham bone which was
flushed with the olde pea soup.....Pumps




__._,_.___

Posted by: Frank Ruggiero <frankruggiero@me.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (42)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment