Cartoon Network

24 January 2012

Re: [DIY] DIY - Need Help with burnt out socket in hanging light

 

do you have one of the big box home improvement stores nearby? if you can take photos of the broken socket and go to the store or a good hardware store, they can probably guide you to the correct socket and provide info on replacing it. you may want to go ahead and take a look at new fixtures to see if they have one as 'attractive' as the broken one. a new one will have instructions on installation that are fairly simple. if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the installation, by all means hire an electrician. check your smoke detectors before you go-my sister lost everything to a house fire last week, could have easily lost her life! replacement batteries are cheap!


From: countrygal8120 <b_palys@yahoo.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:24 PM
Subject: [DIY] DIY - Need Help with burnt out socket in hanging light

 
I don't have much experience with electrical issues, but here's the problem:

I have a stained glass hanging light with three 60 watt lights. Yesterday, I tried to replace a burnt out bulb in one of the sockets. When I tried to screw the light in, the part that holds the lightbulb became semi-detached from the socket and shorted out the bulb and severed one of the wires connecting the socket to the rest of the light (there are two wires for each socket).

I assume that I could just replace the light fixture part of this light, but would I need to take down the fixture from the ceiling, or what is the easiest way to do this??

It is obvious to me that the light fixture that came with this light is really cheap and hopefully I can find a better one. I really like the stained glass shell so I want to keep that and not replace the whole fixture.

I could really use your help. I don't want to leave the thing like this for long because of the wire that is hanging from one of the sockets.

Bsusan



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment