Cartoon Network

24 January 2012

Re: [DIY] DIY - Need Help with burnt out socket in hanging light

 

How in the world can they get by with making crap like this and calling it UL Listed?!

I had a light fixture on the back porch that shorted out. Opened it up, and they had built it very badly, with the individual barely-insulated wires rubbing up against a sharp-enough-to-cut-fingers hole.

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, ray <dataman@...> wrote:
>
> Sounds like the socket separated at its base (not real unusual) and one
> of the wires shorted out thus breaking it. The entire inside of the
> socket can be replaced if needed. And replacing the wire from the
> socket to the inside of the fixture should fix it. Use a wire nut to
> attach the now and old wire so its insulated properly from the fixture.
>
> On 1/23/2012 1:24 PM, countrygal8120 wrote:
> > I don't have much experience with electrical issues, but here's the problem:
> >
> > I have a stained glass hanging light with three 60 watt lights. Yesterday, I tried to replace a burnt out bulb in one of the sockets. When I tried to screw the light in, the part that holds the lightbulb became semi-detached from the socket and shorted out the bulb and severed one of the wires connecting the socket to the rest of the light (there are two wires for each socket).
> >
> > I assume that I could just replace the light fixture part of this light, but would I need to take down the fixture from the ceiling, or what is the easiest way to do this??
> >
> > It is obvious to me that the light fixture that came with this light is really cheap and hopefully I can find a better one. I really like the stained glass shell so I want to keep that and not replace the whole fixture.
> >
> > I could really use your help. I don't want to leave the thing like this for long because of the wire that is hanging from one of the sockets.
> >
> > Bsusan
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment