Cartoon Network

28 January 2012

Re: [DIY] Up to my armpits in projects.

 

I'm with you Bill, I wouldn't mind having an old house to fix up.  I think some of the best times we've ever had (and maybe the worst too - ask my kids about Wallpaper Words :) have been working on old houses.  I don't this I'm this ambitious anymore and my husband doesn't even like me to get this look in my eye but I'd like to have a new project to work on.  I've found two over the last 5 years that I thought we could make into a wonderful home but DH figures he would get most of the work and is't crazy about the idea, LOL.



On Jan 26, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Bill Chmelik wrote:
 
I told my better half that I thought we needed a new project, maybe fixing up an old house, we turned a 980 sq. ft. rancher into a 2700 sq. ft. 3 story with a 44x16 covered deck, then we moved south bought an old block shotgun that had been added onto 3 or 4 times, ripped out 1/2 of the additions(and rebuilt them as one), completely rewired(the ancient load center burnt up one Saturday night just after we moved in) and replumbed(we broke up the slab, moved water heater, tubs, and toilets), added a 16x14 kitchen(with red walls and a pine t&g ceiling), took out block walls, leveled a slab so that I could put down laminate, and we did it all except the shingles, and 3 rooms of dry wall, you don't want to see an old fat guy trying to nail down shingle, and I found a great drywall guy that charges less than the scotch I need after I do drywalling, so not only does it look good, it saved my liver!  Rebuilding/remodeling is not rocket science, you can find loads of help on here, in books, and there are even code flip charts you can get that give you the basics for plumbing and wiring. The best piece of advice I can give you is, try it, if you don't understand some aspect ask, but above all have fun(and take lots of pictures)…


Jan Flood




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment