Cartoon Network

30 January 2012

RE: Re: [DIY] Shelf life of Polyurethane

 

Thanks for that information Ray. I had put a piece of
plastic under the lid of this can when I had opened
it and used some. May have been 3 years ago. Maybe more.

This morning I removed the lid and plastic and there
was a very hard crust over the polyurethane. I had to
use a butcher knive and hammer to break through.
Tossed out that mess and stirred the rest. I applied
just a small patch to a piece of wood to see if it
would dry without being tacky.

So far so good. The tackiness is leaving. Hopefully I
will be able to use it.

I was told many years ago that if you open a can of
varnish, it will be gooey and tacky after 6 months of
storage.

Also... when I have leftover paint and the lid on the
can won't fit properly, I will pour the rest of the
paint into a 2 quart jar and put a plastic lid on. So
far so good for my leftover paints.

Joyce

------- Original Message -------
From : ray[mailto:dataman@ghvalley.net]
Sent : 1/29/2012 3:18:36 PM
To : DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Cc :
Subject : RE: Re: [DIY] Shelf life of Polyurethane

I use kitchen plastic wrap material (Saran wrap) and
lay it over the
paint or poly. see that all the air is out and press
the wrap material
against the sides too. Cheap way to seal out air
that does dry up the
top surface of your material. To remove it pinch it
in the middle of
the material and lift it off and away from the sides.
You will have
some material hanging onto the plastic wrap and you
can either toss it
or wring it out. I usually have a pile of newspaper
right next to the
container and drop everything in it and wrap it for
disposal.
For 5 gallon buckets you have to use a couple of
overlapping pieces of
plastic wrap since (or at lest I haven't found) they
stopped making the
wider holiday sized plastic wrap. I have some good
quality paint that I
have protected this way for 7 years and its still
usable today.
Ray

On 1/29/2012 12:31 PM, subprong wrote:
>
>
> I would like to add a question to this thread. Is
there a way to
> prevent skinning on such products? I'm tired of
paying for what
> essentially ends up being 3/4 of the product in the
can.
>
> I have no clue but I can't imagine it not be usable
unless there were
> some extreme temperature changes to it.
>
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM, snafflesnshelties
<snaffles@essex1.com
> < mailto:snaffles@essex1.com>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> I have a gallon of Minwax polyurethane that was
opened a couple of
> years ago and a small amount of it was used.
What are the chances of
> this product still being useable?
>
> Joyce
>
>
>
>
>

------------------------------------

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives
List - to subscribe send an email to:
Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
Groups Links

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment