Cartoon Network

24 January 2012

Re: [DIY] Re: electrical question - two switches and outgoing power

 

I for one agree on your logic,code is best even if no one is looking,


From: jmr1290 <jomarex@earthlink.net>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:08 PM
Subject: [DIY] Re: electrical question - two switches and outgoing power

 
I have a great respect for electricity.

I take my time and do things by Code, or at least know damn good and well why I'm not following code. I have learned that there is almost always a very good physical reason for something to have made it into Code, even if I can't understand it at that point. Example: if I were going to run cable through PVC conduit, code says something like you have to use THHN or somesuch, and you can't just strip off the outer insulation of NM (to keep it from overheating), because that would remove the size info. As one electrician said, he can look at a wire and tell what size it is. Took me awhile to find / understand those issues, but to me, it is *well* worth it!

But it's not always so simply black-and-white. Like with this garage door opener -- I could have left it like it was, ungrounded, all kinds of UnSafe. It was working fine. I actually didn't research it enough to see if it would go against Code to not completely re-arrange and re-wire the whole house in order to properly install the GDO.... I just made absolutely sure that things were grounded and firmly attached, etc.

Joy

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, S_Wilson <virtualwilz@...> wrote:
>
> ......... What's the reason for the limitation of branch circuits to a detached garage? I'm sure there's a good reason but I never heard of it. I appreciate you telling me there was a code on detached garages, I didn't know. I wish I had a sub panel on the 120V outlets out there. If I would have thought of it I may have put in 240V at about 30 or ........... >>>



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment