Cartoon Network

27 January 2012

Re: [DIY] Odd electrical problem

 

A fresh day starting here and I will retrace my steps and again try and locate any other boxes that might be in the line. I see if I have to run a new line that I will have to drill through a concrete wall and fish it somehow. The whole area is finished.

One idea I have is to turn off all the breakers except the one in question and use a stud finder with electrical sensing to trace the path of the circuit. That might help me locate a box that is in another room that I might have missed on the same circuit and I could inspect that. If none are located then something is buried in the wall somewhere and it's time to pull new wire.

Thanks for the comments and idea's. Time to get with it.

G

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@...> wrote:
>
>
> It sounds almost like you have a loose wire nut in a J-Box that's inclosed in the wall. I've come across that several times. If the outlet connections are good and the breaker side is good, try shutting off the circuit breaker and check to see what else is on it. Hopefully, there might be an outlet in an adjascent room that you didn't know was connected to it. Or a light.
>
> If you can't find it you may consider abandoning it in place and removing the connection to the circuit breaker instead of opening up walls. You can use wire molding to run off another outlet if the circuit load is light enough.
>
>
>
>
> To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
> From: multiuseguy@...
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 02:16:33 +0000
> Subject: Re: [DIY] Odd electrical problem
>
>
>
>
>
> Did that in fact put a 20A recep as the original was a 15A which came with the house. Also resnugged neutral wire and then tried the hot [black] on 3 different working circuits [breakers].
>
> The more I think about it the more I feel the wire is compromised in a place I can't detect. Perhaps one wire is compromised enough to let a small amount of voltage to pass from the continuity tester but when 120 volts attempts it the heat causes the end of the wire to pull apart. But I don't even get a flicker on the test lamp.
>
> No fire yet but maybe just better to run new and not chance a burn down of a perfectly good house.
>
> G
>
> --- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, Mike Shoaf <mike.shoaf@> wrote:
> >
> > replace the receptacle first, it is cheap! it may be broken inside where the prongs go into it, caused by the heat from the stove and moisture of the kitchen.
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: multiuseguy <multiuseguy@>
> > To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:37 PM
> > Subject: Re: [DIY] Odd electrical problem
> >
> >
> > Â
> > I wonder what properties of electricity would keep it from burning up a few strands of wire when the element tried to pull it's rated current. Yet I've heard houses burn down when someone wires #14 romex to a 20A breaker.
> >
> > The only place I can see connections is at the outlet I removed that the stove was plugged into and at the breaker box. I physically removed the wire from each device. I could not locate any other outlet serviced by that drop. Now that does not mean someone did not bury a box in the finished area somewhere. I think maybe pulling a new feed will be the best thing to do. It will be tedious as everything is a finished space. Thanks for your insight. Much appreicated.
> > G
> >
> > --- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, S_Wilson <virtualwilz@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Just had that same type of thing happen at work this week. A heating
> > > element quit working. Continuity across it appeared correct but it
> > > didn't heat up. Turns out what it was, was a broken wire, it was
> > > stranded and was only hanging by a few strands. When I turned power off
> > > and started jiggling wires the wire broke away by the element connection.
> > > So I would say look for a poor connection. Might be the outlet, might be
> > > the breaker, might be a wire, could be a wire nut. Outlets are notorious
> > > for burning up. Look for carbonizing on it, that is a clue.
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > On 1/26/2012 4:28 PM, multiuseguy wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Electrical socket that has worked for the better of 7 years
> > > > mysteriously quits working. 20A duplex socket used for gas convection
> > > > oven and also to power incand. over the sink light.
> > > >
> > > > Basement is finished but from what I can determine wire goes right
> > > > back to breaker box from duplex outlet. I can measure 120 VAC at
> > > > outlet but shop light will not work when plugged in.
> > > >
> > > > I unhooked the wires in the breaker box and also at the duplex outlet
> > > > and checked for a complete circuit with positive results. I can not
> > > > find a short to ground when testing the wires.
> > > >
> > > > Anyone have an idea of what is happening?
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment