Cartoon Network

13 February 2012

Re: [DIY] How to kill Ivy?

 

OMGosh.......sounds like I am into a real battle here. Hmm, got to look
into this too.
I do have some floral tubes...and now I know a good use for them...as way
back when I was doing crafty stuff and doing floral arrangements for
weddings, showers, , funerals and so on I had them .....and now I can find
a use for them again maybe.
Thanks for your input.
sj

----- Original Message -----
From: "sandaidh" <sandaidh@localnet.com>
To: <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [DIY] How to kill Ivy?

>I suspect that, with the black plastic over the ivy roots, they may do what
> my trumpet vine did after I took it down. The roots will sprout
> elsewhere.
> Keep in mind that the roots you see are only a small portion of the whole
> root system. And that plant *wants* to survive.
>
> Ironically enough, just before reading your post, I was looking through my
> latest issue of The Family Handyman magazine. In it is a small article
> titled - Poison your ivy, not your shrub. They suggest buying a few
> floral
> water tubes. Fill the tubes with a little herbicide (like Roundup) and
> replace the rubber cap on the top to keep out rain and pets. Then stick
> the tube in the ground beside the vine, and stick the tip of the vine into
> the tube. The vine will "drink up" the herbicide, right down to the roots
> and should die within a few days.
>
> Wish I'd thought of that.
>
> So you might want to let the ivy grow enough to stick the new growth ends
> into some floral tubes (available at florist suppliers and/or nurseries).
> A
> lot easier than digging and pretty much guarenteed to get all the roots.
> And should take a lot less time than my method of dealing with the trumpet
> vine. I kept cutting down every shoot I came across. When they came up
> in
> the lawn, the lawn mower cut them down nicely, otherwise I used pruning
> shears. It's taken about 6 years, from the initial removal of the vine,
> however last summer was the first in which I saw *no* runners/sprouts
> anywhere in the yard.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sandaidh bean-fhigheadair a' bhreacain
> sandaidh@localnet.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe
> send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
> Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment