Cartoon Network

18 February 2012

[DIY] Re: old tool handles

 


not sure what you've found so far, but i use 60%linseed oil and 40% turpentine. i use it on all my old garden tools that were my grandpa's and they still do the job. the first time, after sanding smooth to remove any splinters, i really soaked them, rubbed them off good with a green pad and soaked them again then rubbed well again.
now i just reapply yearly. this has lasted a lot of years.
i also poured some used motor oil in a 5gal bucket of sand and push the hoes, rakes, shovels in the sand once a month or so.

dw

-- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "snafflesnshelties" <snaffles@...> wrote:
>
> It was on this list a few years ago that I asked just about the same question for suggestions for oiling the wooden handles on my chicago cutlery knives.
>
> There was a professional chef on the list who said WALNUT OIL was what she and her mother used for years.
>
> I did have a hard time finding it (super large grocery store) and when I did, I coated every handle with the oil, let them set over night and oiled them again. I do this once a year and each time they look just like new.
>
> I have also used the walnut oil on an old oak table I picked up at a thrift store and it looks beautiful!
>
> Walnut Oil needs to be refrigerated after opening.
>
> All I can say is try it, you will love it. I have used linseed oil on garden tools for several years. I used the walnut oil on one wooden handled garden tool and loved the results.
>
> Joyce
>
> --- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, Kathryn <ksrberck@> wrote:
> >
> > At a country auction last weekend, I picked up a group of lovely old
> > forged garden tools with wooden handles. The handles are solid, but are
> > cracked and very dry. I've Googled possible ways to restore the wood,
> > but prefer to ask people who will for-sure know, rather than just want
> > to sell me something. So I immediately thought of this group. Advice,
> > please?
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment