Cartoon Network

21 May 2012

RE: [DIY] Re: Rancid smelling paint

 

Thank you for your reply Christine. I was pretty
disgusted when I found the bucket of paint.

I found it at a not for profit organization I
volunteer with. An organization that is barely
scraping by financially. I and others get pretty
upset with the stupidity behind a lot of carelessness.

When I removed the lid and could barely stand the
stench, I threw the lid in the dumpster and put the
paint back inside the lean to so it could naturally
dry out for discarding.

After that, I began to doubt if what I had done was
the best thing to do. It was an outdoor paint. I did
not attempt to stir it. I can put up with a lot of
bad stench... (I live on a farm with livestock) but
the odor from that paint was pretty rank.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts that it was not
saveable.
Joyce

------- Original Message -------
From : Christine Hartmann[mailto:opinicize@yahoo.com]
Sent : 5/21/2012 6:44:17 AM
To : DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Cc :
Subject : RE: [DIY] Re: Rancid smelling paint

Joyce, I worked in the paint department of a large
(big box) retailer for years, so I know way more
about paint than anyone should. Putting odor aside
(though I wouldn't discount it entirely), did you try
to stir the paint to reincorporate the solid into the
liquid? It would surprise me if you could, because
the freeze/thaw destroys the composition of the
paint. The solids generally become like cottage
cheese, or a big solid clump, separated from the
liquid. You did not say whether this was indoor
paint or outdoor paint, but the answer would be the
same: Since the prep is the "work" part of painting,
I wouldn't risk a few bucks only to get an inferior
job. Paint is (relatively speaking) cheap, and I
would replace it if there were even a hint of problem
with it. I'm not for wasting, but when I prep, I do
it right, and I wouldn't put all those hours of work
in jeopardy by applying a suspect coating.
Particularly if you are working outdoors, removing a
bad paint
job would be extremely difficult, worse than prep,
and then you would have to repaint anyway. Doing the
job once is generally more than enough for most
people; I wouldn't want to possibly double, triple,
or quadruple what is generally an un-fun project.
This is a case, IMO, of penny wise/pound foolish.

Christine-Mpls

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com,
"snafflesnshelties" <snaffles@...> wrote:

>

> I recently opened a 5 gallon bucket of paint and it
smelled rancid.

> It was not MY paint.

>

> About 1 1/2 gallons was used out of the bucket
about 3 years ago. It has been stored outside in a
lean to ever since. Frozen and thawed repeatedly.

>

> I believe it is a laytex paint.

>

> Is this paint still useable?

>

> Joyce

>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment