Cartoon Network

26 May 2012

RE: [DIY] Toilet flange orientation

 

First, I'm assuming this is fairly new set-up.  Working on old houses, I've found that in some cases the flange is not connected to the pipe but was placed there because there was no originl flange - the toilet was bolted to the floor, not the flange.
 
The bolts that hold the toilet down are secured on to the flange.  The flange should be secured to the floor so that it doesn't move and the toilet bolts are evenly spaced from the wall behind the toilet (each should be 12" from the wall).   I usually buy two sets of bolts so I can tighten the bolts onto the flange with one set of washers and nuts so I won't worry about them moving when I tighten the toilet down.  The extra bolts in the set are tossed away; all the washers are used, of course.
 
I don't know who you are refering to as "the man in the big box", but I'm not sure what you need a spacer for.  Unless you're flange is too high and the toilet rocks on the flange, there shouldn't be any spacers.  If the flange is too low, there is a wax ring without a sleeve that can be bought and added on. 
 
When in doubt, the extra money for a professional would be preferred to making mistakes that need to be fixed time and again.  Check a DIY site on the internet and see what is needed for your specific case and then see if you can do it or need to call a professional.
 
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: jhnidy@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 21:16:33 -0400
Subject: [DIY] Toilet flange orientation

 

One of the "T" bolts that hold father's toilet to the flange has popped out of the toilet.  When I removed the toilet, I found that the big black flange that carries away the waste is positioned such that one of the "T" bolts really has nothing to grab.  I tenderly put everything back together and got the T bolts tight but I don't think the fix will last.
What holds the black flange in place?  I mean can I grab the flange and turn it 20 degrees?  Before I started this job, the man in the big box told me I would find a white plastic spacer that would be screwed to the floor.  The spacer was there but it was screwed to the flange not the floor so I could not just rotate the spacer.
If I can't rotate the flange, then I will buy a plastic flange that does bolt to the floor but then I would be concerned about the seal to the flange.
Google Jers Tablet
Woodhaven, MI

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment