Cartoon Network

12 June 2013

[DIY] New Toys-2

 

The need to cut and weld different metal  thicknesses quite accurately led me on a search for something better than my stick welder and acetylene torch.  I started out with a wire welder but did not like all of the splatter and of course I was still left without cutting capability except mechanic grind or saw or my acetylene torch, neither of which I really cared for.   While viewing a site called Woodgears which is hosted by an extremely talented young Canadian engineer, I saw a link for this thing call "Multiplaz" which was invented in Russia and has been available in Europe and Asia for the past 10 years.  It supposedly will cut steel, stainless, aluminum, brick, glass, ceramic tile, quartz  glass and probably concrete as well.  Plus it will weld any and all metals even in many cases those that are dissembler such as steel to cast or stainless, copper, aluminum, etc, and the only consumable is water and a 50-50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol, no shielding gas except in the case of titanium which is certainly out of my league.  No fumes to boot.

 It took me a bit to find a fellow in Australia who was using one and he has validated their claims, complete with photos of his learning curve work.  To make a long story short I finally after six months of disbelief bought one and it will be here the first of next week.  I plan to spend my hot summer days down in the air conditioned comfort of my basement removing an ancient hot water heating system which will give me plenty of steel and cast iron to play with.  The chap in Australia claims he has cut up to 1/2 inch steel with far more ease than he could with a torch.  The plasma flame supposedly runs from 8000 to 14,000 Deg F which should cut anything I'm likely to work with.  I'm curious to find out if I can work with glass rods and a mixture of ceramics and steel.  If so I have a very artistic daughter and daughter in law that will probably be all over me like sticky on candy wanting one of their own, but at 2 grand a pop they may need to do some very serious bargaining and be content with either a buy your own program or waiting until I croak.

Now if this is not what it is as advertised to be I'm going to be eating home cooked crow for some time to come.  But it does come with a 2 year warranty and an expected industrial life of 10 years.  So we shall see.

If it really works you will be hearing more, if not,  it has been nice knowing all of you and I will quietly fade into the wood work never to be heard from or seen again.  I'm afraid my child bride may assist in my untimely disappearance.  SSSHHH she doesn't know I've bought it yet so mum's the word.  That is just in case Trinity is lurking as she used to her email address.

--
Dale in the Flatlands. "Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous."

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment