Cartoon Network

09 February 2012

RE: [DIY] Kitchen Range Question

 

The hissing noise is most likely arcing in the adapter caused by the prongs of the elements not setting right.  Sometimes the wires to the elements also get fried in which case you need to replace the adapters, too.  Just like the elements and drip pans, there are different adapters so be sure you get the right one.  As far as the oven, it sounds like it was a cracked element or the wiring had been fried and now sparking.  If you knew about electricity and thorough inspection would be in order; since you are uncomfortable with electricity, it was the better option to get a new one than pay an electrician to inspect and repair since it sounds like the cost would be about the same and if you went the electrician route, you'd still have old parts that are likely to fail.  This way, you at least have a warrenty for a year or so.  Or is it six months?
 
If you have people who put a large pot on the stove, fill it to the top to make a week's worth of stew or soup, then the range really takes a beating - usually it's tha large element.  We've had to explain that to several tenants and we were fortunate that more than half heeded the advice.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: sjkail@twlakes.net
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 05:16:50 +0000
Subject: [DIY] Kitchen Range Question

 
Hey, new member here. I should have joined this list years a go, shame on me.
I have a few rental properties which I've done major improvements on for the past 25 years, but sometimes I run into problems when it comes to trusting electricans and plumbers. I can handle a little bit of plumbing but when it comes to electrical problems... well that stuff scares me to death.
I do have a question here.....I had a tentant call me and they said when they turned on the stove oven the element sparked and then smoked and the kitchen lights dimmed.
I went over there today to check things out . When they first called, of course , I thought it needed a new oven element......but then they told me more today.... like the lights dimmed in the kitchen and then when they tried out the stove top burners they made a hissing noise. being me...I turned on a burner and put my ear to it..and yes I detected a noise also. No, I didn't burn my ear off, lol, so that's not my problem.
I went ahead and ordered a new kitchen range after talking to a salesman at Lowes and it's to be delivered on Friday.
What I wonder ....is..... this just a problem with the stove's wireing going bad (the stove is about 15 years old, I bought it new back then) or could this be a problem with my wireing inside the house to the stove?
The guy at Lowes of course wanted to sell me a new stove and now I don't know if he's scaming me...and I did go ahead and pay for one..... and also ordered a new pigtail for $22 , other wise I would have had to pay someone to hook up the one that is already there.
What I worry about is if they hook up the new stove and then I find out it's the wireing inside the house that caused the oven to fry ...the new stove will also be fried!!!
Any thoughts on this?
sj


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment