Cartoon Network

02 February 2012

Re: [DIY] Water heater venting

 

google 'sealed combustion water heater'; lots of info out there, but you'll have to search thru it. not knowing your usage or abilities, have you seen a tankless water heater before? all types have good and bad points, so do your homework! Rinnai, Rheem, A. O. Smith are common manufacturers, poke around their websites when you have time


From: Michael Baldwin <mbaldwin577@gmail.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:30 PM
Subject: RE: [DIY] Water heater venting

 
thanks,
How far away from a window or door do I need to stay? I have two windows on that side of the house, one is the kitchen, and one is a non conforming bedroom. Oh, then there is a second story window that is at the top of the steps.
I have not seen a closed combustion water heater, but that might be nice. I want to convert everything I can to NG.
 
Thanks,
Michael

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Shoaf
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:40
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIY] Water heater venting

 
several codes apply to venting! using the high efficiency water heater would allow you to use pvc venting, making it much easier to penetrate the outside wall with a smaller hole. you gotta stay away from windows and doors and allow for condensation which will damage plants if allowed to contact them. using a sealed combustion system-bringing in outside air to feed the heater- will also help since it doesn't pull air from inside the house to burn. it will use one penetration also, but splits into 2 pipes inside, one for the vent and one for the intake. hope this helps!

From: Michael Baldwin <mbaldwin577@gmail.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:25 PM
Subject: [DIY] Water heater venting

 
Hi,
I currently have an electric water heater that I can not wait to get rid of. I am thinking of converting back to natural gas. My issue is I want to get rid of the chimney that takes up a large corner of my kitchen, and the water heater would vent through with the furnace. I know there are regular water heaters and power vent water heaters. If I go with a regular water heater, do I still have to use the chimney, or can I punch a hole in the wall and vent it outside that way with chimney pipe. Or do I have to use the direct vent water heater if I want to get rid of the chimney and put the vent out the wall. The walls of my basement and first floor are block, so I will have my work cut out for me making the hole. I really want that damn chimney gone though.
Are there any codes that regulate vent location, and how many vents can be on one side of the house, or vent spacing, etc. My new furnace will be direct vent as well, but that will not happen until this summer at the earliest. I live in a small town, and no inspection or permits are needed, but I still want to do it to generally accepted codes if possible.
 
Thanks,
Michael
 
 




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment