Cartoon Network

20 February 2016

Re: [DIY] Dishwasher is DEAD DEAD DEAD

 

My wife just called Bray and Scarff and the sales rep didn't speak highly of Asko. In fact, he recommended Kitchenaid. He said you still get the
most bang for the buck and although their reputation has taken a little bit of a beating the last few years, he said it's because of the federal mandate
on water conservation not because of it's quality.  He said the problem with Asko is that,even though it's a very good machine, Kitchenaid offers almost
the same thing at a lower price and servicing a Kitchenaid is much easier. Parts can take a while for Asko if something goes wrong.

We're going over there after work tonight to take a look and make a decision.  He said earliest they can deliver and set up is next Wednesday (!!)

-aki



On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM, 'oakridgefarm@gmail.com' oakridgefarm@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

If you read the list you know the problems I had with my new GE Profile.  But the problem isn't with the dishwasher — more the energy saving features and my water system here.


Overall I like the features, has the Tall tub, stainless steel, the filters are easy to clean, top shelf can be lowered for larger items or raised for very large items on the lower rack.  A wine glass section, bottle wash feature….love this, great for coffee cups & small items that are sometimes hard to stabilize.  Just about all the tines are adjustable, to customize it to your dishes.  All settings on the top so nothing shows on the front, can't hear it when it's running which is good cause it takes forever to wash a load of dishes.  The GE Profile may not be considered high end but was one of the ones recommended to me for the type of use I do - and was in a reasonable price range, $699 on sale.   We don't have near enough dishes to fill it up.  You do have the option of washing either the top shelf, bottom shelf or both — which is good, lower the top shelf for plates and we can fit all we normally use.  Down side is you still have the whole cycle.  The problems I've had were not with the dishwasher itself but the water temp - I still don't know where the glitch is or even if it is a glitch but once I decided to live with it and run all my dishes on Heat Boost or Sanitize and heated dry it washes the dishes great, just takes 3hr +-.  But so does my new Washer/Dryer.  Even their speedy quick wash for "when you need your items fast" — takes a full hour.  Samsung told me the water/energy saving features are Federal Mandate, not the companies choice.


On Feb 19, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Frank Ruggiero frankruggiero@me.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Yes. I live in NY. With delivery and install, I paid about $925. It all touch sensors, stainless steel inside and out.

Oh, another thing. With the KA that I have, you really have to use tablets (not liquid soap or powder soap). Not a huge deal, but that may matter to you.

In the end, the new washer gives a great spotless clean.

On Feb 19, 2016, at 09:26 AM, "Aki 01dyna@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


thanks Frank!  Yes, I agree the two door Fisher and Paykels aren't really optimal. The reviews I've read have been mediocre and 
the biggest complaint is that neither drawer is large enough for large plates.

Askos at Bray and Scarff run anywhere from $800 to $2k.  If we go that route, it'll be on the lower end as long as the functions
we need are included.

I agree that the Kitchenaids are very good but they are also pricey.  They typically run from $700 on up to $1,500.   We may end
up getting another KA, they're darn good washers IMHO.

-aki


On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Frank Ruggiero frankruggiero@me.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 


I just replaced my 15 year old Kitchen Aid with a new Kitchen Aid. Ive had it about a month, and I do like it. It has a 3rd rack, which is useful, and cleans really well. You can also raise and lower the 2nd rack to fit enormous pots in it, if necessary. It has a multitude of modes as well.

I will say it takes a long time to do a complete cycle; about 2.5 hours. However, I believe that is part of the energy saving process, if I understand correctly.

Unless you are a very religious Jew, I am not sure a Fisher and Paykel is appropriate. My understanding is that the separate sections are to be used for separating meat from dairy (is that what you are supposed to separate?) So, I think one loses space and pays a premium for something that is not really necessary. 

Asko is from Sweden I believe and are supposed to be great, but we are talking over $2000. They probably are wonderful knowing the design and quality coming out of that country, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.

I saw a Bosch. The design seemed ok, but wasn't bowled over by it.

I the end, I liked the Kitchen Aid because of its features that others did not have, and in retrospect, I do get a lot of use out of those features. And considering you and I both had good luck with our prior Kitchen Aids, maybe it is not a bad idea to try it again.

Frank

On Feb 19, 2016, at 08:49 AM, "01dyna@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


Our 19yo Kitchenaid dishwasher finally died. It fills up but doesn't wash or drain. Not surprised, it's pretty old and the control panel buttons lettering have pretty much worn off and it's not cleaning as well as it used to.  I think we got our moneys worth after 19 years so we're good with getting a new one. This Kitchenaid dishwasher has been a real workhorse.


Soo...we're in the search for a new dishwasher.  Like the Kitchenaid, we don't believe in buying a low end appliance since it'll most likely end up costing us in the long run.


We've looked at Bosch, Kitchenaid, Asko, Fisher and Paykel (we have their washer and dryer and really like it) and some others.  My wife saw a friends new Asko and is seriously considering that brand/model.


Any comments/recommendations on a replacement dishwasher?  We have to do this either TONIGHT or Saturday. We have a very busy household and the thought of hand washing everything is frightening.


-aki











__._,_.___

Posted by: Aki <01dyna@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment