Cartoon Network

31 July 2012

[DIY] Re: Old garage pad and new patio

 



Hi Jack,

I joined this group for concrete work advice.

Be very careful with this project not to underestimate how important the foundation is. This is not a time to re-invent the wheel. There are reasons for the three inches of rubble (gravel) and three inches of sand. I use four inches of rubble, but in Minnesota, there is a huge freeze/thaw cycle. I have done lots of this kind of work with my Dad, and it doesn't take long before you are moving tons (literally) of material. You move tons of earth, tons of gravel, and tons of sand. It is heavy and laborious (and fun). You will be much happier in the long run if you do it right rather than do it over. Doing it over to get it right will involve moving tons of material out of the way (with no good place to put it for temporary storage), and moving tons of material back in to place. I know this is NOT what you want to hear, but there is no short cut. My Dad and I had a Saturday afternoon at the landscape supply outlet where I was standing in the showroom crying, because the salesman was explaining what to do, and my Dad was refusing to get the supplies to do it. My Dad's theory has always been "good enough". Well...not so. We did it his way, and then within a year we re-did it. Not fun. And foolish.

Also, topping a cracked concrete pad with more concrete intuitively sounds like a recipe for disater to me. All of that beautiful new concrete sitting on top of a layer of old shifting concrete ... it seems it would be better to remove the bad stuff, raise the area to the desired height by laying in the proper foundation, then pouring your new pad. You will want to kick yourself if you spend a lot of time and money on these projects only to have to rip them out. The money spent doing it half way could be better applied to doing it right the first time.

Isn't there something in a famous book about building your house on shifting sand? Be sure to build YOUR house on a rock.

Christine (Buzz Kill) - Mpls

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <joudsema@...> wrote:
>
> I moved into a new,for me,house. First summer there so LOTS to do. There is a
> concret pad that looks to me that was used for a garage at one tine. Somewhat
> broken/cracked. I would like to add concrete on top of it,it needs to be higher
> anyway. Does anyone for Sure know how much I need to add to have it stick and
> not crack etc? Is it 3ins? Did I say that I am Very POOR? I am!
> Also would like to put a patio in out back door. Any ideas as to what to use?
> Have thought of most and would rather Not go to expense of gravel(3 ins?),vaper
> barrier,sand(3 ins) then top whatever. What is the Least cost? Can I just use
> sand? Is there any sealer for sand? I was told cats would use sand as a
> liter.Once saw and walked on a pro done river rock sindwalk and patio, It was
> not only Beautiful but nice on the feet. Can I do that?I am very handy etc and
> have Lots of time when not on another project,idea at home.
> Hope some one can help me out With I have done that info!Thanks much!
> Jack O
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment