Cartoon Network

23 July 2012

Re: [DIY] Car Starter Problem

 

Other than the starter may be starting to fail, the problem is most likely a possibly loose and contaminated positive battery terminal.
Batteries tend to bleed sulfuric acid, that acid builds up deposits on the lead terminals. That acid build up will act as a resistor to the flow of a charge when you try to start.
Remove the positive battery terminal and clean it and the battery side with a brush and some baking soda with water, then reinstall the terminal and be sure its snug.
That should help and it may fix it. If nothing else it will eliminate that as a problem.
Steve


On 7/22/2012 9:10 AM, nan8136 wrote:
 

You have come thru to help me with good advice in the past so I'm here again.

I bought a new car battery last winter so I know that's good. Last night when I turned the key in the ignition it just went "click" with nothing happening. Then when I tried it the second time the engine turned over and off I went. A few times in the past I would hear a short bzzzz kind of sound when I turned the key. (Good description, huh?) Well, that happened maybe 6 times in the last year (before and after the new battery). But I never heard absolutely nothing till last night.

When my husband was alive he did lots of car mechanical work and was always telling me stuff about what he was doing. I certainly miss having him when stuff like this occurs. I believe there is a starter and an ignition switch, is that right? Well, what might my problem be? I hate to have the car not start when I'm out someplace or have the grandkids with me.

It's a 2007 Accord which I have regularly serviced at the dealer. I hate to go in and just give them free reign as to what to fix. I also don't know if I need to be nervous about this, but I am. Any advice on what it might be? Or how I should approach the dealer with my problem?

Nancy



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment