Cartoon Network

16 March 2012

Re: [DIY] 12v Question

 

Use the regulator to drive a power transistor that can handle that load. The problem there is coming up with a design that works. I was never very good at figuring out transistors myself. I used to be involved in remote controlled gas airplanes. I needed a similar design for using a car battery on the glow plugs for the motors.  I got lucky and had a guy at an electronics store show me a voltage follower transistor circuit that was easy and it worked. Any power transistor that is driven at that amperage will need a good heat sink. I think all it took was using the regulator to drive the base of the transistor. You may have to use a couple of transistors for 20 amps. There are also some other devices called MOSFETS that are good for handling larger loads. My experience working with either is very limited.
Good luck
Steve

On 3/16/2012 6:24 AM, Edward Hughes wrote:

 

I need to regulate a 12v source with a load of up to 20 amps.  I don’t think a small 3 leg regulator will handle that load, so how can I achieve this?


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment