Cartoon Network

27 March 2012

RE: [DIY] exterior outlets

 

thanks. those are the covers I was thinking of using. I just read in some places they are code even. I will be running a new circuit for the porch, but I wasn't sure if I could have the inside and outside stuff on the same one. So if the circuit pops, it won't effect any other lights in the house.
Thanks for the tip on the cut-in style boxes. that would be much easier then trying to find and cut for the boxes through the plywood sheathing. I have enough troubles with drywall.
 
Michael


From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Shoaf
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 18:51
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIY] exterior outlets

 

you can use general use boxes as long as they are totally inside the wall. my recommendation is a cut-in style box so you won't have to worry about setting the box out enough to be flush with the siding. also recommend buying the weather proof in use covers; they are deep enough to allow you to leave the cord plugged in during bad weather. as far as using same circuit for inside and outside plugs and lights, I don't recommend it; if you choose to plug in a heater or such on the porch it may overload the circuit that feeds several rooms inside the house. this may come in real handy (having separate circuit) for future use of this area. keeping the plugs and lights separate means you won't be in the dark if a plug trips the breaker!


From: Michael Baldwin <mbaldwin577@gmail.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 3:57 PM
Subject: [DIY] exterior outlets

 
Okay, before I get to my siding project, I am going to rebuild my front porch, among a lot of other things.
I want to put 2 outdoor outlets in, basically one on either side of the steps to my front door. I know there are special covers, and I need to use GFCI outlets, but do I also need to use special boxes? I have seen outdoor boxes that are screwed to the house, for adding a an outlet or light after the fact. But if the outlet box is in the wall do I still need to use a box rated for outdoor use? The other question is am I aloud to have the outlets and lights in side the porch on the same circuit as the ones outside/ the porch will be completely enclosed. it will be more like another room in the house. I live in a remote area of fly over country, and a permit or inspection is not required for any part of this project, but I still want to do it right.
 
thanks,
Michael


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment