Cartoon Network

20 March 2012

Re: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue

 

That is good news..... tells me that you don't have much of a problem at
all.
Just replace the whole dang works for less than $20 at Lowes , or Ace or
Home Depo ...or who ever is the store you buy from. It should come with
instructions . You can do this! If you where to hire a plumber to do it
then they can charge you a trip fee of $45 or more for a coming out and
then another 50 bucks to completely install the guts to your toilet..plus
the cost of the unit.......at least that's what my plumber charged me. I
fired his butt a long time ago!!! Now I know I can do this myself!!! and so
can you.
sj
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom" <chtom@aol.com>
To: <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue

>
> less than 6 years, use PVC, no copper or cast iron. Actually the toilet is
> located in my horse barn
> --- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "Shelby Kail" <sjkail@...> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Ron, if there is no rust particles, rock or whatever that
>> needs cleaned out...then just buy the whole nine yards, a completely new
>> flush valve unit. In my territory a whole new unit only cost about
>> $15 -16 at Lowes.
>> I have rental houses and have learned it's much cheaper to replace the
>> all the dang works when one thing or another starts causeing problems.
>> Just cheaper in the long run and not all that hard to do.
>> BUT...as Ron has said...it might just be debri clogging things up. I once
>> lived in a very old house with very old plumbing with rusty debri braking
>> loose in the water lines. What you do in that case is first turn off the
>> water supply to the toilet, then flush it to get the water out of the
>> toilet tank....then you need to un-screw the major line (I am sure you
>> guys can give me the name of this)...and dig out any rusty debri or
>> little pcs. of gravel.
>> If your plumbing lines are of PVC and/or Copper this may not be your
>> problem. Not like my problem with a house that had cast iron plumbing .
>> With the old house I used to live in I had to do this every month or two.
>> Do you know how old your plumbing is?
>> sj
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Ron Johnson
>> To: doit_yourself@yahoogroups.com
>> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:03 PM
>> Subject: RE: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I would first shut off the water, twist open the top (push down first)
>> and see if the mechanisms inside are setting in thier position right or
>> if there is a particle (rust, rock, whatever) is keeping the valve open.
>> If everything is OK, I would just buy another - they aren't that
>> expensive. Just make sure you drain the tank first; I've tried a quick
>> switch even with a completely flushed tank and it still makes a mess.
>> After shutting off the water and flushing, use a wet-dry vacuum to remove
>> the remaining water.
>>
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>> To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
>> From: chtom@...
>> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:52:23 +0000
>> Subject: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue
>>
>>
>> I have a toilet fill valve that won't shut off. I have adjusted the
>> level of the fluidmaster float, the height of the whole unit, manually
>> lifted the float.
>>
>> None of this works.
>>
>> Does the unit need to be replaced?
>>
>> Tom
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe
> send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
> Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment