Cartoon Network

23 March 2012

Re: [DIY] Security Cameras

 

I setup network cameras for security. I have a Linux computer running all the time so I used it to pole the cameras once every minute. I set that up so it will keep 2 weeks of images in a hard drive directory for each camera. Each image is numbered and I keep a separate file that lists the file number and the date/time that is associated with it. I went a step further and made the program on the Linux computer make a webpage for each image too, so the date and time would show easily. When 2 weeks pass, the number goes back to zero and all the images are overwritten.
Not very conventional but its what I came up with. I can view the history of each camera across the Internet.
I like to program, so coming up with something like this isn't the type of thing most people would have the ability to do. I didn't really have a need to do it, I was just bored and needed a project.
I caught a sequence of images that showed a Swat team attacking my neighbors house. My neighbor never knew it happened, actually I didn't either. I was bored the morning I looked at that cameras images. It showed a sequence of images of a Swat team approaching her front door and then when she didn't answer they disappeared. It took me about 3 days to get the nerve to tell her. I had never met her before. Her house was just in the background of what I had the camera focused on, my front yard. The people that lived there before her were heroin addicts and squatters in a property where the owner had died. They were living there for free for a few years, stealing from anyone they could. I think that is why I may have gotten the cameras to begin with. The cameras never caught them doing anything.
If there is a Fry's Electronics somewhere in your area, they sell camera DVR's and RCA or BNC connected cameras. That is the more simple way of setting up security cameras. Fry's is online too. That is where I got most of my network cameras. It can get pretty pricey.
Steve

On 3/22/2012 3:33 PM, larrysmail123 wrote:

 



Hi Everyone,
I am not sure where to post this subject. I tried posting to a electronics group, but they refused to post it for some reason. Sorry if this is too much off topic. Could someone send me in the right direction for this topic.

I need to install some security cameras. Thieves are stealing me blind when I am gone.
Does anyone have any suggestions about which kind is best, how to install them. What all will I need, Wired or Wireless, etc.

Pleas try to keep it simple I don't know anything about this subject. I am ok with computers, TV, VCR, DVD recorders and stuff like that. I just never have had any dealing with security cameras.

Thanks for your time...Larry


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment