Cartoon Network

20 March 2012

Re: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue

 

I agree with Ron, if there is no rust particles, rock or whatever that needs cleaned out...then just buy the whole nine yards, a completely new flush valve unit.  In my territory a whole new unit only cost about $15 -16 at Lowes.  
I have rental houses and have learned it's much cheaper to replace the all  the dang works when one thing or another starts causeing problems. Just cheaper in the long run and not all that hard to do.
BUT...as Ron has said...it might just be debri clogging things up. I once lived in a very old house with very old plumbing with rusty debri braking loose in the water lines. What you do in that case is first turn off the water supply to the toilet, then flush it to get the water out of the toilet tank....then you need to un-screw the major line (I am sure you guys can give me the name of this)...and dig out any rusty debri or little pcs. of gravel.
If your plumbing lines are of PVC and/or   Copper this may not be your problem. Not like my problem with a house that had cast iron plumbing . With the old house I used to live in I had to do this every month or two.
Do you know how old your plumbing is?
sj
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue

I would first shut off the water, twist open the top (push down first) and see if the mechanisms inside are setting in thier position right or if there is a particle (rust, rock, whatever) is keeping the valve open.  If everything is OK, I would just buy another - they aren't that expensive.  Just make sure you drain the tank first; I've tried a quick switch even with a completely flushed tank and it still makes a mess.  After shutting off the water and flushing, use a wet-dry vacuum to remove the remaining water.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: chtom@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:52:23 +0000
Subject: [DIY] different toilet fill valve issue

 
I have a toilet fill valve that won't shut off. I have adjusted the level of the fluidmaster float, the height of the whole unit, manually lifted the float.

None of this works.

Does the unit need to be replaced?

Tom


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment