Cartoon Network

25 March 2012

RE: [DIY] vinyl siding opinions

 

Problaby to much research, approaching the info over load stage almost.
This will be the first time doing it myself. what is the saying...oh yeah..."The cheaper the product the better the installer needs to be.". Of course Even a bad installer could mess up a excellent product, but I am hoping by going with a good brand of siding it will last longer and look nice for a while to come. My preference is for an insulated siding, but it is pretty spendy. Not really for the insulation value, cause it is low, but because it is more supported, and does not seem to bow in as much, making it look less vinyl at first glance, and it seems to be the only way I can get 6 or 7 inch siding. Which again to me, makes it look less vinyl at first glance, because the majority of vinyl is 4 inch.
 
I will be installing new windows, and fixing all the rottin wood. Although it is not noticeable from the ground, I noticed the majority of the crown molding on the house is rotting. All of that is going to be removed and built out to the drip edge, and wrapped in vinyl or aluminum, which ever the siding we get has. part of the house is almost one hundred years old. My guess is the wood is rotting from age and nothing major, but I will find out more when i go taking it apart.
 
I might need to rent a brake for wrapping the wood around the doors and garage door though. I haven't used one in several years. Unless anyone has an idea for using the stock vinyl matterial that siding manufactures put out.
 
it should be a fun and interesting project. Some times i think building a house would be easier than trying to fix other people's screw ups and 100 years of ware and tare, but it would not be as fun and interesting.
 
Michael
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Johnson
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:14
To: doit_yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [DIY] vinyl siding opinions
 

 
 
Sounds like you've done more homework than most people.  The only thing I would advise is make sure you don't hide problems that need attention or it'll just grow worse over the years.  And be sure you like the color you pick.  I have an old house that has it all over the place and the siding they used can't be found for repairs, so you might want a sheet or two extra in case they discontinue that style.
 
Good Luck.
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: mbaldwin577@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 01:13:32 -0500
Subject: [DIY] vinyl siding opinions
 
 
Okay, instead of painting our house, we are thinking of covering it in vinyl siding. I know some like it, and some hate it. I don't care what your opinion on vinyl is, but I am interested in your opinion on different brands of vinyl siding. I think our top choice so far is timber Crest premium. We are also looking at a few lines from Certainteed, and Cellwood. Anything .42 mil and thinner is completely out of the question
 
thanks,
Michael
 
 
 
 
 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment