Cartoon Network

01 July 2012

Re: [DIY] 4X4 as frame?

 

Thanks for the responses. My "shed" will actually be a mews to use for a falconry bird. Its easier just to tell people its a shed because that is basically what it is with some modifications for the windows. As such, there aren't any super good plans to make one. I have to just go off of things that have worked for other falconers which puts me a little bit of a hard spot as I have very little help and not much skill. I found some plans online that I think I can do with my ability level, but they don't include a floor. Falconers have to have a sponsor for the first two years and my sponsor wants me to put it up on blocks with a floor. So that is becoming my stumbling block here. Here is the website that details how the thing should go together.
http://www.squidoo.com/building-a-mews#module112658341
If you scroll down, there are some pictures showing what the side panels and basic floor outline will look like. So I need to figure out how to make a floor that will work for that. Thanks for your time and advice everyone.
Melissa

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, OOWONBS@... wrote:
>
>
> Mellisa,
> I'm trying to understand what part of the structure you call the frame.
> And how 4x4's alter the measurement. Which measurement?
> You cut them as long as you wish...
> If these are for the floor supports, 4" tall is not adequate.
>
> You use 2x6's or 2x8's, or etc. 2x4's as joists are inadequate.
> In fact, used to be 2x6 as floors and 2x4 as roof (with limited
> spans) but now it's 2x8 floor and 2x6 roof. BUT for a shed,
> with a small span, you can usually get away with it.
>
> What floor dimensions do you desire?
> Is the size you want an internal one or exterior?
> If your code says 10'x12', they mean exterior, and the 1/2 OSB
> on the outside will add 1" and they may count that.
>
> BillSF9c ... vacation coming. Happy 4th.
> Sorry many of your rights we fought for are being removed.
> Ben Franklin said, "Here's your republic. Good luck keeping it."
>
> Posted by: "melissasparrots" melissasparrots@...
>
> >Is there any problem with making a frame for an 8ft square shed out of 4X4X8s?
> It would give me exactly the measurements I want. I would use 2X4s as the
> joists in the middle. What length and width of screw would one use to nail them
> together without splitting?
>
> >I thought about screwing together two 2X6s but I'd still be .5 inch short. I
> don't have a lot of carpentry skills to work with here and would rather not have
> to do a bunch of extra cutting if I can get what I need from 4X4s. The shed
> will be on blocks if that makes any difference.
> Thanks,
> Melissa
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment