Cartoon Network

30 September 2012

RE: [DIY] Exterior Hosebib Help

 

Steve,

 

The original poster described the cutoff as a 1/4 turn shutoff, which is different than the type valve you described.

 

For my 2 cents worth, just replace the whole valve.  I just did exactly that a couple of months ago.  Channel lock pliers and some teflon tape are all that is required.  The only difficulty is that the main water to the house must be shut off while the valve is replaced.  It is a 15 minute job and the expense is tiny.  My replacement valve also had an angled bib like the OP mentioned and it was a 1/4 turn valve. I liked it much better than the valve it replaced.

 

Bob

 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Wilson
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:49 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIY] Exterior Hosebib Help

 

 

At the bottom of the valve section there should be a metal seat. That seat may be replaceable. It requires a squared wrench that fits into the squared center of the seat, can be found at a hardware store. The seat may be removable if there is a squared center in it. It removes just like a screw, counter clockwise. You'll find replacements for it easily. Replace the seat, the rubber washer at the bottom of the valve assembly and screw that holds the washer. There should be a packing washer under the top nut on the valve assembly that may need replacing too.
A diagram I found that shows the assembly:
http://wetheadmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/2008/12/Faucet-Seat-and-washer-replacement-diagram.jpg

Steve

On 9/28/2012 11:24 PM, subprong wrote:

 

The 1/4 turn handle on my outdoor hosebib started to deteriorate a few months ago.  The framed ring on the underneath the knob was falling apart and therefore was not properly seated around the turn nipple (sorry I don't have a better term) that sticks up into it.  So it needed to be turned past its usual points to go completely on or off.  Recently the water hadn't been turning on at full power. 

I removed the handle/knob and screw and decided to turn the nipple with a wrench.  I was able to turn it on and off a couple of times.  Then as I'm trying to turn it off again it's taking at least 5 full revolutions until it finally shuts the water off.  After this I try to turn it back on.  After several turns it does not turn on again

Is this something that can be fixed without replacing the entire hosebib/spigot?  I assumed the nipple and waterflow turn piece below it would be 1 single piece and therefore shouldn't have any mechanisms below it to cause this.  I guess I'm wrong or I'm doing something wrong.

If the entire thing must be replaced, do you have any advice on a replacement hosebib and a type of pipe wrench(es) to get and what to look out for when taking it off and installing the new one?  I see that there are anti-syphoning varieties.  I don't think I'll need the frost-free types.  I do like the idea of some of the spigot mouths sitting at a 45 degree angle (kink-free).

I have some boiler spigots.  Can these be used outdoors?

Just a note.  I actually tried to find the same type of knob/handle at the box stores awhile back hoping that I could buy the entire hosebib and take off the handle of the new one and place that on my existing one.  However, I could not find the same variety.  Also, the nipples on my boiler spigots are squarish where as the one on my exterior hosebib is more rectangle with roundish edges.

Thanks.

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment