Cartoon Network

30 September 2012

Re: [DIY] Exterior Hosebib Help

 

Thanks for the picture.
You might have to peal the insulation back a bit to see what kind of fitting it is. Hopefully it's threaded. But it looks to be copper too. Could be brass or bronze but the color is typical of copper. Try not to mix copper with other types of metals. If the pipe is copper, use a copper valve. You risk a bi-metal reaction if you mix copper with other metals. Copper pipe will look similar to the valves color. You can get bi-metal adapters but it looks like you have situation of freeze prevention. Any adapter would put water out to freeze if not insulated well like your pipe is. To use a non copper valve, use a bi-metal adapter and re-insulate the addition.
Doesn't look like its possible to take it apart. Its not a valve I've seen before.
Hopefully someone that lives in your region will have more knowledge than I have with a similar valve type. Looks like a 45 degree valve would give a little problem for your existing setup.
If you find the valve is soldered in, that is a whole new problem. Its an art to solder copper pipe. It can be done but it takes a new arsenal of tools to do.
Steve

On 9/29/2012 12:06 PM, subprong wrote:
 

I wish it were that type.  Here is a photo which is a bit blurry.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DoIt_Yourself/photos/album/283632268/pic/1369125960/view

This is with the handle off but the screw put back in on top.  The nipple below the screw....I'm not positive but I don't think that comes out.  It didn't seem to move up as I tried many revolutions to open up the valve.

The whole assembly is pvc below ground running up to a rusted T adapter which leads to the hose bib on one side and then water line to the interior on the other side of the T. 

I've watched some videos on removing hosebibs and it looks easy enough if everything goes smoothly.  I'm hoping everything comes off easily. 

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Steve Wilson <virtualwilz@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

At the bottom of the valve section there should be a metal seat. That seat may be replaceable. It requires a squared wrench that fits into the squared center of the seat, can be found at a hardware store. The seat may be removable if there is a squared center in it. It removes just like a screw, counter clockwise. You'll find replacements for it easily. Replace the seat, the rubber washer at the bottom of the valve assembly and screw that holds the washer. There should be a packing washer under the top nut on the valve assembly that may need replacing too.
A diagram I found that shows the assembly:
http://wetheadmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/2008/12/Faucet-Seat-and-washer-replacement-diagram.jpg

Steve



On 9/28/2012 11:24 PM, subprong wrote:
 

The 1/4 turn handle on my outdoor hosebib started to deteriorate a few months ago.  The framed ring on the underneath the knob was falling apart and therefore was not properly seated around the turn nipple (sorry I don't have a better term) that sticks up into it.  So it needed to be turned past its usual points to go completely on or off.  Recently the water hadn't been turning on at full power. 

I removed the handle/knob and screw and decided to turn the nipple with a wrench.  I was able to turn it on and off a couple of times.  Then as I'm trying to turn it off again it's taking at least 5 full revolutions until it finally shuts the water off.  After this I try to turn it back on.  After several turns it does not turn on again

Is this something that can be fixed without replacing the entire hosebib/spigot?  I assumed the nipple and waterflow turn piece below it would be 1 single piece and therefore shouldn't have any mechanisms below it to cause this.  I guess I'm wrong or I'm doing something wrong.

If the entire thing must be replaced, do you have any advice on a replacement hosebib and a type of pipe wrench(es) to get and what to look out for when taking it off and installing the new one?  I see that there are anti-syphoning varieties.  I don't think I'll need the frost-free types.  I do like the idea of some of the spigot mouths sitting at a 45 degree angle (kink-free).

I have some boiler spigots.  Can these be used outdoors?

Just a note.  I actually tried to find the same type of knob/handle at the box stores awhile back hoping that I could buy the entire hosebib and take off the handle of the new one and place that on my existing one.  However, I could not find the same variety.  Also, the nipples on my boiler spigots are squarish where as the one on my exterior hosebib is more rectangle with roundish edges.

Thanks.




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment