Cartoon Network

30 September 2012

Re: [DIY] Vinyl fence post question

 

I would think that ripping the 4x4's to fit and making sure that include 3ft (or more) for ground depth is the easiest, cheapest and most
direct way to get the posts mounted.  It's odd that the posts weren't standard 5x5.  Wonder what the manufacturer expected the consumer
to use for securing them?



On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM, David Cox <dcwired@att.net> wrote:
 


1 ft. in the ground is a waste of time for sure.  No way the fence  will stay there.
May I suggest an alternative to a new, longer post?  Dig a 3' deep hole and fill it with concrete up to 1' below the ground level (the depth your posts will extend down to).  Insert some type of rod or pipe in the center extending a foot or so above ground.  Drill a hole the size of the rod or pipe (say 1 1/4" diameter or so) into the bottom of the post and slide the post down onto the rod or pipe for support.
There is no good to come out of installing the post 1' into the ground.  If you have waited 3 years, you may have to wait a little longer to be able to get it done correctly.  You can begin working on the holes and concrete 1 at a time as money and time permits.  Patience is a virtue.


On 9/30/2012 7:09 AM, snafflesnshelties wrote:

 

Ron I thought that 3 feet was supposed to go in the ground?

Get new posts? Seriously? This IS the do it yourself list. If I had the money to buy new posts I wouldn't have to be on this yahoo list as a method to do things myself to save money. LOL

The posts like this would not be sold in Northern Illinois if they had to be longer. There must be a method to making them work.

I bought this fence for $100 3 years ago. 360 boards and the fenceline posts. Not the end posts. Those I will have to buy.

A 4x4 will not fit down inside. Too small. I also have 4 x 4's that were picked up at an auction.If I had to, I can buy a new sharp blade for my table saw and cut them down.

Get new posts is not the answer I am looking for. I was a stay at home mom for 3 years. I put up my fences mostly by myself. Built my horse stalls by myself, do my own animal vaccinations by myself, trim my horses feet, by myself etc etc etc. I have not bought any new clothes for me in 7 years. I buy all my clothes at thrift stores so I can make my home look like something someone else who makes more money and can afford to have a new vinyl fence installed.

Now.... does anyone know how vinyl fence post are installed in cold winter climates when the posts are manufactured short?

thank you
Joyce

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@...> wrote:
>
>
> Looks like you'll need to get longer posts. You need at least 2' in the ground and more if you anticipate high winds, large snow drifts, or stampeeding buffalos. I was able to get a vinyl 4x4 post cover to slip over my posts before I screwed in my vinyl fences into them. With a fancy post top, it looks good, though our littlest dog still slips through as if it wasn't there.
>
>
>
>
> To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
> From: snaffles@...
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:37:17 +0000
> Subject: [DIY] Vinyl fence post question
>
>
>
>
>
> We are getting ready to install the vinyl fence that we bought 3 years ago.
>
> I have a question on setting the post.
>
> If we position the post so there is 12 to 14 inches between the bottom of the bottom board, and the top of the ground, it only leaves 12 inches to set in the ground.
>
> That doesnt seem right. What about heaving in the winter?
>
> Joyce
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment