Cartoon Network

08 March 2012

Re: [DIY] table saw smoking

 

Anyone who does a lot of ripping should buy a rip blade.  These have fewer teeth and a slightly more narrow kerf than your average stock blade or crosscut blade.  I'd suggest a rip blade with coating on it (usually seen in red or yellow).  That makes a huge difference in my opinion.  I have a simple Diablo rip blade that can be found at Home Depot.  

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM, S_Wilson <virtualwilz@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Cutting with the grain requires less teeth. Too many teeth ripping will cause smoking. It all depends on what size your blade is.
Binding when the cut is being done can cause smoking too. That can be caused by a rip fence being out of parallel with the blade. The worst condition is the the distance at the far end of the fence is smaller than the near end from the blade to the fence.
Most likely its a dull blade. A sharp blade will hide many other faults.
Some woods when ripped will warp from the grain releasing built up tension when they are cut. I've seen that cause some binding and smoking. It can cause the cut to pinch on the blade. Seems weird but its happened to me.
Of all the blades I've bought, one of the best that wasn't carbide tipped was a Marathon, it wasn't all that expensive either. Its held up for quite a few years now.

Steve

On 3/7/2012 11:30 AM, Tom wrote:

 


Gentlemen, thank you.

I will try to clean out the, even though at first glance, it did not appear to be overly dirty.
--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@...> wrote:
>
>
> I was using mine just an hour or so and it was smoking, too. But I knew what the problem was: I'm burning the wood. I guess I need a sharper blade.
>
> If not that, like the others said, check the motor and clean out the machine.
>
>
>
>
> To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
> From: chtom@...
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:50:36 +0000
> Subject: [DIY] table saw smoking
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I was using my table saw the other day. It started smoking, even though the blade was still turning. I have looked for jams, extraneous stuff stuck somw where and can;t find any. It is a direct drive Craftsman.
>
> Any idea to help diagnose the situation?
>
> Tom C.
>



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment