Cartoon Network

14 September 2012

Re: [DIY] Changing floors - update

 

I said earlier -

I've also found (so far), one cracked board, and one which looks like it's
twisted/warped. Because of this, I'm guessing (because I have no way of
knowing) that there must have been some water damage at some point in the
past. Whatever the cause, the result will have to be repaired/replaced
before I can get the laminate down.

Update since I wrote this yesterday.

The "warped/twisted" floor board...isn't. After getting up *all* the carpet
and padding, and a good flashlight, I could see that this floor board was
resting on top of a galvanized pipe. When whoever put the pipe in, it
shoved the floor board upwards on one side, hence the "ridge" down the
middle of the hallway, under the carpet. To my mind, it was dumb, but back
whenever it was done...who knows. Reasoning/logic said that cutting that
section of floor board over the pipe loose from the rest should let the
floor board go back where it belonged in the first place. So I got out my
Rigid Job Max and cut the floor board about a foot each side of the pipe.
At this point, I'm also figuring this pipe is one of the old water lines to
the upstairs bathroom. Already had a call in to my plumber to come remove
the pipe.

So I get the piece of floor board loose and yes, the rest of the board went
back where it belonged. Good, it means the pipe was the problem with my
un-flat floor. But...

There's always one of those, isn't there.

It's not a water pipe. It's likely an old gas line which (at one time) must
have gone to a heater upstairs. Okay, we don't fool with this. (I wouldn't
have even if it was a water line.) Make another call to my plumber to let
him know it's likely a gas line, not a water line. He says no problem,
they'll be there tomorrow morning to take care of it. And while he's here,
I'll talk with him about an estimate for the plumbing needs on the rehab
house (everything needs done LOL).

For tonight, the flooring work upstairs has to come to a halt.
Tomorrow...we'll see what happens. No matter what the project, I've learned
there is always *something* that one will not know until into the work.
Murphy, of Murphy's Law, must have been a DIYer. LOL

Sandaidh
sandaidh@atlanticbb.net

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment