Cartoon Network

29 June 2012

[DIY] 4X4 as frame?

 

2x4's come "standard" as either studs or 8' long...when I built my
first shed years ago it was in Illinois and I needed 4x4's for the snow
load (8-12 feet)..r u in a snow area?

As far as your question of 8',you probably want the finished
dimensions to be 8x8, that way any sheathing or plywood
you might wantto use will fit exactly (each is 4' wide and 8' high)
on your frame...that means all wall studs must be built without
outside dimension of 8' exactly...see the links below


My main suggestion is to go to Home depot and take pics and
dimensions of there sheds they usually have outside and take
particular note of the construction technique...looking closely
at the joints and methodology is a good lesson in carpentry 101--

Also there are several books in the library on shed building and
you can check out the links below to see if anyone of them
is a "watershed" for you...LOL

Best, and have fun building...dont forget to put in some
outlets and light fixture as you build even though you may not
want it now..always easy to put wire in when building then after.

Best,

Rich


http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/sheds/1276536

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9XdVPM4Q4

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-storage-shed/index.html




Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
Is there any problem with making a frame for an 8ft square shed out of 4X4X8s? It would give me exactly the measurements I want. I would use 2X4s as the joists in the middle. What length and width of screw would one use to nail them together without splitting?

I thought about screwing together two 2X6s but I'd still be .5 inch short. I don't have a lot of carpentry skills to work with here and would rather not have to do a bunch of extra cutting if I can get what I need from 4X4s. The shed will be on blocks if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Melissa

Ad Inexplorata; De oppresso liber
______________________________________________________________

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment