Cartoon Network

29 August 2012

RE: [DIY] Furnace wiring

 

Thanks all.  I was able to find and clean off the name plate.  It said the max amperage was 9.5 amps so I used a 20 amp circuit breaker with 12 gauge wire.  In this area, they don't allow 15 amp circuit breakers so I couldn't use 14 gauge wire.  Although the NEC says 14 gage wire would be fine, I have a rule that I only use it for lights only (I don't even use it for ceiling fans).   Also, the rule in this area is that 14 gage wire is only used for lights only up to 200 watts (which I think is WAY too small of an amount - I would prefer to a limit 1000 watts).

 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: OOWONBS@Netscape.net
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:24:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [DIY] Furnace wiring

 
*IF* it said 15A, (which indicates 14-2 min,) I would opt for 12-2.
But I ask...
Was it not a tendency for older furnaces to use motors that
had a bit of surge to them? ( If so - This may alone be a good
reason to go to 12-2. OR- if the run is a bit long...)

BillSF9c

Posted by: "wired" wiredformen@yahoo.com wiringdallas
>Yes, a 120 volt circuit for the gas furnace is usually correct. 14 or
12-2wg is
correct wiring. Do verify on the nameplate. The outside unit circuit
is
usually 240 volts only + ground w/o a neutral for 120 volts. Also, the
outside
unit circuit is sized for that unit only.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment