Cartoon Network

20 August 2012

Re: [DIY] Hi, new to group. This old house is killing me, lol.

 

Some of this depends on if you have attic room in which to work.
I have the same deal.

You can cludge it together, now, and pick each one up later
if you add an attic junction box on some purlin. Then run wires
to ea room to a secondary junction box, which is just inside your
(assumed, if needed) attic, and then through the (assumed)
garage firewall) (if need be... follow-) and then these connect,
(again, at your convenience,) to a wire for each (LABEL as you go!,
LOL!) which then goes to the (newly - required bedroom Arc-)Breakers,
1 per bedroom.

Litigation what it is - someone dies here down the road & they trace
wire age to your unpermitted/inspected work, your kid, wife, a buyer,
it will cost you so much... At LEAST do it "right." Houses resold are
being inspected harder each year. If they look in 1 box & see new wire,
and see "it's not possible," they can make you subject to inspection
"for safety" or not allow you to sell, or re-do it all. Royal PITA$$.

It's not much more work, but it requires you thiMk a lil. A cpl-few more
stud mounted boxes in the attic... A sub-junction that aids you ANYway
in breaking through the living-space attic firewall, legally. (And
which will
NOT be a "firewall," now, so replace or add a layer.) I feel your pain.
but this only adds 1 extra step or two, that can even make your temp
connections, easier to thiMk about. The arc-compliant breakers, 1 per
bedroom, will be your cost... when you get to that. ALWAYS create a
lil service loop. (Extra wire,) near one end or the other, until ALL
done.
Then, leave a lil.
BillSF9c
__________________________________________________________
Posted by: "room4morestuff69" room4morestuff69@yahoo.com
room4morestuff69

So........I decided to redo the bedrooms in the back of the house, 1 by
1. This
is giving me problems, mainly electrical.

Since I am only doing one room at a time and it's all hooked together
the only
solution I can come up with has been to cut the existing wires off the
existing
switches and outlets, join them together and just leave them live
behind the
wall while installing new ones on a separate circuit.

That way when I get to the last room I will eventually be able to kill
on the
circuits at the breaker. I have plenty or room in the box to do this.

The bedrooms won't have much in them, maybe a ceiling fan and a small
tv so I
was thinking of doing all the outlets and the ceiling on one circuit.
Thoughts
on that? The idea of doing the fan separate,lights separate and
connecting them
to other rooms down the road is near nightmarish and you would agree if
you seen
it. I was just curious if there were any thoughts.

> I realize it's not proper
but I can't do the whole house at once. When I did the living room I
had 3
circuits, one for the entertainment, one for the other outlets and one
for the 3
ceiling fans and used all 12-2 and 12-3 on everything.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment