Cartoon Network

26 August 2012

Re: [DIY] Re: Sticky finish on wood

 

>>Is the artist local? Can you ask what was used? Before you try to change the surface coating, you need to know what was used. Has it had time to dry/cure? Could you elaborate on "sticky"?

The artist is dead, as is her husband.  She was a prolific painter, oils/china painting plus her husband made items from wood and she painted them.  Not sure if they sold them or just made them for pleasure; the family has taken what they wanted and selling off everything that was left :)  I've no idea what was used for a finish but I'm sure the paint is acrylic.  The entire tray is sticky to the touch, paper would adhere if pressed on it and I'm sure dust would easily stick - which is what I think caused the sticky buildup in the corners and on the painted area.

In addition to what I'd already tried, I used denatured alcohol this morning and it helped a bit, so moved on to the turp.  Wiping it on and scrubbing with a cloth cleaned it the best with very minimal damage to the paint - and that was caused by having to scrub it so hard in a few places to remove the sticky buildup.  I wasn't interested in any of the wood pieces so don't know if any of the others had the same problem.   DH just saw this tray and liked it.  I need to work on it a little more and let it dry good but I'm concerned if I apply an acrylic finish it won't completely dry hard enough.   Maybe just apply a coat of wax??  This is a large tray and we will use it a lot - if I can get it finished properly.



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment