Cartoon Network

30 April 2012

[DIY] wall studs

 

Hello,
I have a garage in bad shape. The siding is shot, the sill plate is bad in some areas, and some of the wall studs are bad on the bottom few inches. I can reside it, and I think I can support the rafters, with a beam & jacks, to take the weight off the wall in order to replace the sill plate (just a 2x4 was used). My question is: What is the acceptable way to repair the wall studs which are bad? Do I have to replace the whole stud?, or can I scab in new sections (about 12" long) at the bottoms? Is just nailing them in OK, or would screws be better? Do I need some kind of "connector" plates to graft on a new one foot section at the bottom of the stud, rather than going along side of it with a new piece?
Any advice?
Thanks,
John S.
Greensboro, NC

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment