Cartoon Network

27 April 2012

Re: [DIY] Outdoor Steps

 


Hi Dale,

The surrounding soil is my frustration. There is no way to embed the base entirely into the soil, which is why I don't have stability. I use approx five inches of aggregate, (I think the rule is four), just to make sure I have an adequate amount. Then I use approx two inches of sand. BUT...the sand leaks out around the blocks on either edge, and actually, the edges of certain risers are very precarious even when freshly constructed. Now, I know you're thinking that I'm not doing it right, and I understand your thought, but the contour of the slope does not allow for embedment of all risers. As I go up, if I were to embed them, I would have to vary the height of the risers, which is not the way it's done. I was just hoping that there was some kind of edger, or some other narrow product that could be used to buttress those sides.

I'm sure this is done professtionally, but they must be using a different kind of landscaping block than I do. My blocks are approx 12" wide, whereas a wider block would be more stable because so much more weight would be toward the center.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment