Cartoon Network

30 April 2012

RE: [DIY] wall studs

 

I cut off the old studs as far up as necessary to get to good solid wood,
then fit a piece of PT 2x4 down to the sill, then use another pt 2x4 from
the sill up 18 inches past the cut end, both pt's toenailed to the sill and
each other and the longer one nailed to the remaining section of good stud,
( I use a nail gun, if you don't have access to a nail gun I would use deck
screws
ck

-----Original Message-----
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of zinkz5
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:43 PM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] wall studs

Hello,
I have a garage in bad shape. The siding is shot, the sill plate is bad in
some areas, and some of the wall studs are bad on the bottom few inches. I
can reside it, and I think I can support the rafters, with a beam & jacks,
to take the weight off the wall in order to replace the sill plate (just a
2x4 was used). My question is: What is the acceptable way to repair the wall
studs which are bad? Do I have to replace the whole stud?, or can I scab in
new sections (about 12" long) at the bottoms? Is just nailing them in OK, or
would screws be better? Do I need some kind of "connector" plates to graft
on a new one foot section at the bottom of the stud, rather than going along
side of it with a new piece?
Any advice?
Thanks,
John S.
Greensboro, NC

------------------------------------

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe
send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups
Links

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment