Cartoon Network

23 April 2012

Re: [DIY] BEST WOOD FENCE PROTECTANT??

 

This one has a 25 year warranty. But its not clear. It can be mixed in many different shades. But its not cheap either. The other products by Behr for fence protection that are clear or stains have much shorter warranties. The color is probably what makes it more UV resistant. If you choose a color that fairly well matches your fence, it may not be that noticeable that it is a colored paint.
I was going to suggest boiled linseed oil but then I read up on why it isn't used. Fungus will grow on it and it doesn't offer any UV resistance. But it is cheap. Boiled linseed oil isn't actually boiled, it has thinners in it that allow it to spread and dry better than plain linseed oil. I've used linseed oil on wood items I've made and it holds a nice glossy, sealed finish for years. But its not on things that are stored outdoors.
I used Behr paint on my house in 2003 and it hasn't cracked or peeled anywhere yet. Knock on wood...
http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#view=17;vgnextoid=82ca536658689110VgnVCM1000006f1010acRCRD;channel=PROJECT_CENTER
Steve

On 4/22/2012 1:42 PM, redfoxtotem wrote:

 

WHEW!! I feel better having posted the xcel thing. (I have faith in you people!!)

NOW. I have been using the Thompson's sealant on my wooden privacy fence for the past 3 years. I also tried a different brand the guy at the hardware store suggested. VERY expensive. The Thompson's doesn't even seem to last through the summer. I buy the kind that protects and prevents the wood from aging. I want it to look natural and retain its properties. I know Thompson's is one of the less expensive sealants and I suppose that is why. Is Behr's really that good? On one fence I had, the builder told me to use roof oil. It was really cheap and did every bit as well as Thompsons. I have a lot of fence. I have been brushing it on for additional sealing. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!
Darci

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment